Wednesday, January 24, 2007

Grumpy drivers

The King and Dundas streetcar drivers are cranky lately. Really cranky.

We have several options to catch the streetcar home each night.

1. Last northbound stop before the subway station
2. First southbound stop out of the station (after 6 PM only)
3. From the streetcar platform inside the station

I have a metro pass - so it's really all the same option.

Add a determined, hungry and possibly grumpy toddler. Suddenly the first available streetcar is most attractive.

I have my son walk up the street car steps as much as possible. Most drivers are very unhappy about this. They have even angrily said 'Carry him up!' .

Take tonight for example.

As we boarded (using option 1) the street car the driver actually exhaled air between his teeth (you know the sound when someone feels put out) and then he grunted when I showed him my pass. Lovely.

We took our seats and settled in for the ride home.

I can feel that someone is behind me. I turn slightly to verify that it is the driver. Yup, it's him - sour look intact.

"Exactly what are you doing?" he asks.

"We are headed southbound. It's OK I have a metropass." I reply.

"Actually I didn't see your pass when you got on." he challenges.

"No problem sir." I reach into my pocket and pull out my metropass.

"The car in front of me is leaving right away."

"That's fine. We'll read."

"Why are you doing this?" he asks.

"Because it's much easier for me with a toddler."

I don't understand his attitude and objection to us being on his streetcar.

I make every effort to be a polite as possible in front of my son. I want to set a good example. I don't want to be one of those "do as I say but not as I do" parents. Also he is a sponge. If I make one tiny slip up - he's sure to repeat whatever I said. He still says 'little bugger' and that was months ago.

No comments: