Sunday, March 04, 2007

Day of Many Mini's

It was an excellent day!

I have to admit I was very nervous to even enter the building today. Yup, that's me - fraidy cat to the very core.

I was lucky enough to get a ride to the Neilson Park Creative Centre. I had just mustered enough courage to exit the car (plus I was being booted out - I had already negotiated 10 extra minutes - lol.) when another car pulled up beside us. I glanced over and it was Susan! It immediately brightened my day.

I was to shy to tell Susan I had signed up for her course. I located the class via a google search. I didn't want her to get the wrong impression. (Oh, no here comes 'stalker' girl....)

My first challenge of the day? Finding the coffee. Must find sweet, coffee. I pass a room with a gaggle of women and the enticing scent of coffee. Should I just casually walk in and sneak a cup? I finally decide it must be for us. The clincher? The badges around everyone else neck were just like mine...

Off to my classroom to secure and prep my workspace as I casually sip my coffee. I discover that my brand new Teflon coated scissors barely slice through a plastic garbage bag. Seeing my struggle one of the women in my class chirped "My dollar store scissors are working great!".

I'm shyly scanning the room to check out my instructor and fellow workshoppers. I'm intrigued that a guy is in our class - it usually just women.

Workshop A begins and as Ruth speaks I realize that I'm becoming anxious about my lack of 'artistic - ness'. This is new territory for me. I am mystified by the folded pen tool we have been given.

How am I going to pull this off? Maybe I can just fold the 'plain' paper... No such luck. She expects us all to create! Ruth has prepared the most exquisite origami book samples for class. She pulled them apart and spread them across the table allowing us to see examples of different techniques. I regret that I didn't bring my camera. They were lovely to look at.

Will post more soon. Very tired. I promise more soon.

No comments: