Tuesday, January 01, 2008

No resolutions for me

I don't make new year's resolutions anymore. I used to but I never kept them.

I decided to set some goals this year. Precise, attainable and written goals.

For the first seven days of January I am going to post a goal. I might post more but we'll start with seven.

Goal 1: Journal

A journal is defined as: a record of experiences, ideas, or reflections kept regularly for private use

I haven't kept a journal since I was a teenager.

My early journals weren't fancy and I loved writing each day. Choosing the right pen and ink colour, the right entry title, the right word and/or the right photo. It was my beloved sanctuary for my teenage angst.

Desecration and betrayal.

I've rarely written another personal journal entry since. If I did, I made sure it was promptly destroyed. In fact, I am quite surprised that I blog.

I kept buying journals though. I have accumulated quite a pile.

How do I measure this goal? The last thing I want to do is set my self up to fail. I will need to be consistent and follow through.

How many entries for 2008?
Once a month = 12
Once a week = 52
Once a day = 366

Those numbers don't seem so scary/impossible now that I've written them down.

I have a bit of a psychological block (OK a huge block) about writing anything personal down but I want to journal again. I already own these books and will use them as guides in my journaling adventure.

Simple Abundance: A Daybook of Comfort and Joy
Visual Chronicles
Journal Revolution
The Art of Personal Imagery
Kaleidoscope
Art Journals & Creative Healing

Does anyone have any other suggestions for books?

Wish me luck.

1 comment:

cookievf said...

A few months ago, I discovered this great artist's You Tube videos, "Suzibluetube!" (posted about them, too)

So far there are 44 of them here: http://www.youtube.com/profile_videos?p=r&user=suziblutube&page=1

This was the first of many on how to start an art journal: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aRF4bsTToyk

AWESOME STUFF! - vicki xo